The world celebrates No Tobacco Day every 31st of May. What is World No Tobacco Day exactly? It is a day to draw attention to the negative effects of tobacco and smoking, where each year the WHO awards individuals and organisations who make an exceptional contribution to the reduction of smoking and tobacco consumption.
This year, World Health Organization (WHO) is calling on countries to get ready for plain or standardized packaging of tobacco products. It means the reduction of attractiveness of tobacco products, restriction of using tobacco packaging as a form of advertising, limitation of misleading packaging and labelling and increase of the effectiveness of health warning.
If you are a smoker, quitting smoking has probably crossed your mind before. And today is just as good a day as any. We know it’s not easy to give up this addiction, but we will try to inspire you. Here are three useful tips to help you quit:
1. Find Your Reason – You need a powerful, personal reason to quit. This motivation may be to protect your family from second-hand smoke; or lower your chance of getting lung cancer; or to look and feel younger. Find a reason that is strong enough to make you think twice when you want to light up.
2. Prepare Before You Go “Cold Turkey” – If you have decided to go the cold turkey route, you need to line up support in advance. Ask your doctor about all the methods that will help, such as quit-smoking classes and apps, counselling, medication, and hypnosis. Contact Sungai Long Medical Center if you need support.
3. Clean House – Once you’ve smoked your last cigarette, do these:
- Throw all of your ashtrays and lighters.
- Wash clothes that smell like smoke.
- Clean your carpets, draperies, and upholstery.
- If you smoked in your car, clean it out too.
You don’t want to see or smell anything that reminds you of smoking. Use air fresheners to get rid of that familiar scent; whether it’s the bedroom, bathroom, living room and even the office.
If you are in search of more tips, click here: http://www.webmd.com/smoking-cessation/ss/slideshow-13-best-quit-smoking-tips-ever